A little about HUG from Coachbuilt,com --
|"C.J. Hug was a road builder who found that none of the trucks on the market satisfied his requirements as they were too low geared and lacked suitable bodies, so in 1921 he built a prototype of his own design, and went into production with it early in 1922. Powered by a 34 hp 4cylinder Buda MU engine, the Model T had a Warner 3speed gearbox and Clark spiral bevel rear axle, giving a top speed of 45 mph, a high figure for even a 1-tonner in 1922, let alone a 2-tonner which the Hug was. It had pneumatic tires and open cab and the choice of a rectangular body for dry loads or an inverted trapezoidal body for wet mixed concrete. For 1925 the T was joined by the 3 ½ -ton Model CH, followed in 1927 by the 4-6-ton Model 88 powered by a 43 hp Buda KUBI engine with Brown-Lipe 7-speed transmission and Wisconsin rear axle. By the early 1930s Hug Roadbuilder trucks were getting larger and larger; the 1937 range included 6 ½, 18 and 20-ton Roadbuilders with 6-cylinder Buda gasoline or 4-cylinder Caterpillar diesel engines. These were 4x2 or 6x4 trucks with shaft drive, but for quarry work there were 6x2 and 6x4 chain-driven models, the chain-drive units being made by the Six Wheel Co. of Los Angeles who made even larger trucks themselves under the name Maxi. A long overhanging shelf, serving as a roof, was built into the front of the dump body as a shelter for the driver. Chassis prices for the quarry trucks ran as high as $18,320 for the 120,000 lb GVW Model C99MA, the largest Hug ever made. A special option for the 6-wheelers was a J. Walter Christie detachable half-track to loop the tandems for work on soft ground. For 1939 a general change from Buda to Waukesha gasoline engines was made, though diesels were still Caterpillar. Hugs were widely used in roadmaking, housing estate construction and dam building; one of the most important customers was the Tennessee Valley Authority who bought 29 of the large 6-wheelers which were made from 1929 to 1940.|
Although Roadbuilders and quarry trucks formed the major part of Hug's production, and earned the company fame as they were the first purpose-built trucks of this kind, there were also a number of highway trucks called "Xpress" in 2, 3, and 3 ½ -ton sizes, powered by 6-cylinder Buda engines. Some of the tractors had sleeper cabs when these were far from usual, and there were some cab-over tractors powered by Buda gasoline or Cummins diesel engines. The 1938 Model1610-ton cab-over tractor used a 468cu in Caterpillar diesel engine.
In about 1938 the Hug Company began building rear-engined bus chassis, and also undertook the conversion of standard truck chassis. For a brief period Hug offered completely assembled buses, with a body design of sectional construction which was the basis for the later "Mate" series of bodies built by the Wayne works - not surprising since C.J. Hug's office was in the Wayne factory at Richmond, Indiana.
After war broke out in Europe Hug built eight of the Model 50-6 cargo trucks, 6x6 7Y2-tonners powered by Hercules engines and generally resembling the Marmon-Herringtons of the period. These went overseas under Lend-Lease. After 1939 the number of giant truck models was reduced, and Hug built a series of highway trucks looking identical to the 1941 round-nosed Reos since they bought sheet metal from Reo. Most of these were sold to the Pet Milk Co which, over many years, had bought a total of 177 trucks from Hug. The last Hug truck left the factory on June 10th 1942, ending a 20-year production run of 4,014 units, including about 50 trailers. Hugs were widely distributed, being sold in 41 states and 7 foreign countries including Mexico and South America."
In case you missed the link -- HUG TRUCKS -- and of course we need a HUG -- 1937 model 20 ---